We are in the age of social media hype. Social media has made it easier for people to interact with one another, pass across important information, express one’s self and feelings. The benefits social media has brought is huge, However there are demerits.
Asides the possibility of being too addictive, it has also made it easier to disseminate fake news, cyber bullying, scams, reveal other people’s privacy and so on.
As a social media user it pays to be responsible. Are you the same person on social media and offline?If not, then ask yourself why. When you are on social media, always think about your behavior and how it would affect others.
Here are some tips that would help you to responsibly manage your social media lifestyle;
- Limit the time you spend online. Don’t let it deprive you of good sleep. Be disciplined with the time you allocate online.
- Educate yourself on responsible use of social media apps. Many apps are designed to get you addicted. Social media is big business.
- Talk openly and truthfully about what you see on social media.
- Manage your online content wisely. Consume the good stuff and do everything within your power to avoid or filter out the bad stuff. What makes you positive and improves your lifestyle is what you should do on social media.
- Don’t be selfish or self-centered, think carefully about how the content you disseminate on social media affect others.