This experiment will show how you can cause an aluminum can to implode.
- tablespoon ? of water.
- Empty aluminum soft drink can.
- Hot plate (or electric stove burner).
- Bowl filled with ice water.
- Tongs enough to fit around a can.
1.Put the water in the empty aluminum can.
2. Heat the can on a hot plate until the water is boiling and steam is escaping from the opening.
3.Place a bowl of ice water next to the hot plate.
4. Carefully use tongs to grab the can. Carefully and quickly flip the can upside down into the bowl of ice water.
The can should implode
Implode a soft drink aluminum can. Explanation
The steam coming from the can is the water vapor escaping as the water is boiling. Not only does the water vapor escape out of the can, it also pushes out any air that was in there before you heated it. When the can is flipped over into the ice water bath, the remaining water vapor cools, condensing back into liquid water. The amount of water vapor left in the can is equal to about one drop of water. Since all the air was pushed out earlier and now there is only one drop of water left in the can, the air pressure on the outside of the can pushes in on it, causing a sudden collapse, or implosion.