Items you will need to make palm kernel seed oil
- Palm kernel seeds. To extract substantial quantity you will need up to 1 congo or seeds weighting about 1.5kg
- An old cooking pot
- A metal cooking spoon for stirring
- A cooking device, for example a camp gas or an electric cooker
This process generates a lot of white smoke, its safest doing this out doors at the backyard of your home.
Processing of palm seed oil
- The first step is to crush the palm kernel shells to remove the seeds. To extract a substantial amount of oil you will need up to 1.5kg of seeds.
- Put the seeds into a clean dry cooking pot and place on your activated cooking device. The process will generate a lot of smoke so put on your nose marks if necessary.
- Start stirring the seeds with a metal spoon. This is to distribute the cooking heat evenly across the seeds. Stirring should be done intermittently say every 30sec to 1min intervals.
- Keep stirring intermittently until. Smoke begin to form. This indicates oil is beginning to extract from the heated seeds.
- Keep on stirring, After substantial amount of oil is extracted you can pour into a metal bowl
- Continue the previous process until all oil in the seeds is extracted.
- When all oil in the seeds have been extracted the seed will look burnt inside out
- Finally let the oil cool down and pour into a clean plastic Bottle.
- You can extract over 250ml of oil from 1.5kg of seeds.